Thursday, January 22, 2009

Glory Hallelujah


I am so excited that we have our new President of the United States. I am so hopeful and filled with the desire to be a better person. I know these things may sound sappy, cliche and even syrupy-honey sweet, but it's true. This particular inauguration has really inspired many people. Before I go any further, I should state that there has been a lot of controversy in my own personal life as I have shared my own political views with a lot of family and friends this year. I guess because of my religion it has been assumed that I lean a certain way politically. I guess through this blog and conversation I have shocked some. It has been a reawakening for me. I have felt free and yet, I have also felt saddened by some responses. By merely stating that I believe a certain way some have started viewing me with various degrees of caution. One particular person in my life has really surprised me. I won't mention who, but it's been a strange and unusual position to find myself.
So, here's my "confession" of sorts...Yes, I voted for Hillary Clinton during the Primary Elections. I voted for Hillary because one, I really thought at the time that she would do a great job. Secondly, I knew that Barrack Obama was going to win the nomination and that I would vote for him during the general election. I wanted to be able to say that I voted for two historic figures in politics. Maybe that's a little self-serving, but it was of some importance to me. I have always liked Hillary Clinton - even during her unpopular years in the White House as First Lady. I also believe that Barrack Obama will be a great President of the United States.
That leads me to this reflection...on Tuesday, January 20th I was home sick. Yes, I was really sick. I had not been feeling well all weekend long so I took the day off. I had Monday off due to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday. Because of this, I was able to spend the day watching all of the inaugural proceedings. It was great! I watched history in the making. Part of me wished I could have been there, but then looking at those crowds, I was glad I was home, safe in my bedroom. Those who know me, know that I have to comment on Michelle Obama's clothing. She looked fantastic! I was a bit more impressed with the inaugural outfit than I was with the evening gown, but both were beautiful. She does have style. President Obama (we can call him that now) also looked sharp in his tuxedo that evening. They make a striking couple. Their daughters were adorable, too. Melia and Sasha are just too cute for words. For some reason I feel that they would be friendly to each and every one of us. I realize that does not necessarily make a good president, but it's a great start in my book.
Politics aside, the day was an inspirational day for our whole country. Our very first African-American President. As the old slogan goes..."we've come a long way baby!" Watching the different faces in the crowds who were so excited was like watching a version of "It's a Small World" at Disneyland. It made me proud to be an American. I guess everyone has their own versions of how they felt. I had all of these great annecdotes that I was going to share in this blog but they all fail me now. I guess the title I chose says it all for me.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

I didn't vote the same way you did and I still think you are awesome -you know I love you anyway - ha!ha! (sorry, I couldn't help myself) That is what makes this place a great place to live! We can all have our own opinions and not be punished for them! I also watched the inauguration events and tried to get Grace to watch, it was a historical day. We love you tons!

Cherie and Jeff said...

Thanks sweetie. I love you, too. Yes, it is what makes living in our country great! Thanks for the "anyway" comment. That was cute!!!! LOL I laughed! What did Grace think or was it too boring for her? You need to go to J. Crew and look at those coats the Obama girls had on. Weren't they just adorable? It looked like your style! Loves. me.